About Me

My photo
I'm an artist who can't choose a medium. My current weapon of choice is a black fine line art marker, which I use to doodle pretty little illustrations. I turn them into clip art that you can purchase in my Etsy shop for use in projects like web design and scrapbooking. I live with my husband and evil black cat in Chicago.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Snow Queen : WIP II

Snow Queen : WIP II
Today the Snow Queen got her icicle tiara, frosty cheeks, and a neck full of feathers.  (Does it look like feathers?  I fear it looks a lot like fur.  I think the feathers need spines, and maybe to look fuzzier.)

Those icicles were tricky, but not as tricky as I thought they'd be.  First I sketched out with a very fine brush where I thought the base of each of the icicles would sit, then a series of similar circles to the tips.  After that it was a mess of painting and blurring with the blur brush.  At the end I went back to the fine point brush and lightly lined the left hand side of each 'cicle.  I'm not entirely sold on the white fluff at the base of the tiara.  It's meant to be snow, but I don't think it comes across well.

I'm going to need to go over her hair and eyelashes again to sharpen them up.  The tiara is too sharp to leave them as they are now.  They don't match each other.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the background yet.  I've been flipping between having a darker one and this pale one.  I like the drama with the dark, but I also really like how pale and icy this one can get with a aqua gradient map overlay.  I've got a ton of snowflake doodles that I've never used sitting on my computer, so I'll probably fill the BG with them.  Ooh, or maybe some kind of art nouveau frame!  I've been looking for an excuse to try my hand at that...

I'm so happy with how this is turning out.  She's so pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment