About Me

My photo
I'm an artist who can't choose a medium. My current weapon of choice is a black fine line art marker, which I use to doodle pretty little illustrations. I turn them into clip art that you can purchase in my Etsy shop for use in projects like web design and scrapbooking. I live with my husband and evil black cat in Chicago.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gams: a Block Print Pattern

Behold, my printing operation!

It's really not as complicated as it looks.  But it is just as low budget as I can manage.

I had a very specific idea in mind for what I wanted this fabric to look like.  I made a mock up in Illustrator (because that was where I designed the stamps I made using Speedball Speedy Carve), and used the fancy color picker tool to choose my color palette.  I found one that I really liked and then mixed up the three colors I wanted in little pots with lids (I wanted to have leftovers in case I needed to re-do things).

Then I laid out my fabric on my cutting mat and made a grid using thread and tape.  I did the horizontal lines first.  Since I knew I was going to print up two pieces of fabric (I'm making a bag), I needed to make it possible to move my fabric out of the grid and move another piece in for each color I printed up.  So I did the vertical grid lines so that they taped onto my long acrylic ruler on the top.  That way I could lift the ruler up, and wiggle the fabric out from under the horizontal lines, but could still put another piece of fabric in.  It worked pretty well.

After making the grid, printing was easy.  I use an old candle tray for my paint - it's just the right size, and it has that wide lip, so I can lay things down on it that I don't want making a mess on my desk.  I use a tiny foam roller for inking my stamps.

I probably should have put some paper between the fabric and my cutting mat to protect my cutting mat from paint, but I've already gotten paint on it, and I don't think that stuff is coming off, so what's a little more?

I'm calling this fabric print 'Gams', because the ladies I printed up here have very pretty legs.  I'm using this print to make up a pleated tote bag, which I hope turns out awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Dude. You're making your own fabric prints?! That pattern's gorgeous, by the way. Ku-DOS.

    ReplyDelete