About Me

My photo
I'm an artist who can't choose a medium. My current weapon of choice is a black fine line art marker, which I use to doodle pretty little illustrations. I turn them into clip art that you can purchase in my Etsy shop for use in projects like web design and scrapbooking. I live with my husband and evil black cat in Chicago.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Cookies


I made Christmas cookies!  My mom gave me her Kitchen Aid mixer (!) while I was home for Thanksgiving, and I got the yen to bake.  I made the dough, rolled out the dough, formed the cookies, and baked for about four hours on Sunday, and iced them all day Monday.  It took a crazy long time, and killed any dream I ever had about opening my own bakery, but I freaking love that mixer.  I would write odes to that mixer.

I used recipes that I got off the internet - you can find them here:
Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookie Icing

The icing recipe is a good one, but you have to fiddle with the amounts of milk to get the right smooth consistency.  I followed them to the letter the first time and it gave me what looked like good snowball packing snow.  But after you figure that out...  The recipe gives you that shiny frosting that you normally get in bakery cookies, but be warned - the light corn syrup gives you the shiny, but if you put in too much it will take hours for the icing to dry.  Long, sticky hours.  (Something to think about: I used the almond extract suggested in the recipe, but that stuff is really sweet.  Too sweet.  I should have just used vanilla.)

The cookies are good too.  I'm usually not a huge fan of sugar cookies, but these are pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment